Cannot boot with cdrom and LVM

I just installed Debian testing on my Dell Latitude C640. I partitioned the hard drive with a 20G vfat partition, a 300M root partition, and a 17G LVM physical partition. I can sucessfully boot the system and mount the volume group and logical volumes when the cdrom is removed from the modular bay, but when it is inserted, I get an error message about not being able to find the physical volume during boot. I've tried googling, but haven't been able to find anything. Becuase it is early in the boot process, I can't find any logs either. If you can point me in the right direction, I would much appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jason Martens