Re: turn off gnome

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 11:00:30AM -0500, Shane Beasley wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2001, Rich Rudnick wrote:
>
> [...]
> > echo fvwm2 > ~/.xinitrc
> > echo fvwm2 > ~/.xsession
> >
> > however you start x, only fvwm2 will start.
> [...]
>
> If that's *all* you do, and you're running the GNOME Display Manager
> (gdm), it'll still start gnome-session. :)
>
> When the GDM prompt comes up asking for a user name and password, there
> should be a menu allowing you to choose which session type you would like
> to use (Debian, XSession, GNOME, etc.). Choose XSession and *then* it will
> use the ~/.xsession file, at least for this one user.
>
> Of course, if one runs the Debian box (which is probably the case if one
> is on this list), and one really despised all that is GNOME for some
> reason, one might want to uninstall all GNOME stuff, including gdm, and
> install xdm instead, which always does the xsession stuff:
>
> 	apt-get --purge remove \
> 	`dpkg --get-selections | grep 'gnome\|gdm' | awk '{print $1}'`
>
> 	apt-get install xdm

OK, despite my previous intemperate post, I do not despise all that is gnome,
far from it - I'm just frustrated with having to run the unnecessary bits
just because I have some gnome applications.

That should really have been the subject of my previous mail - how to avoid
running gdm while keeping all the nice gnome apps.

Somewhere along the line, I got stuck with "new and improved". I'd very
much prefer to keep "old and inferior", esp. when it runs so much faster.

Thanks for the suggestions, but gdm doesn't actually work right now - I have
to start X with startx. Maybe if I concentrated on fixing that problem first...

Regards,

Tom