Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

Package: makedev
Version: 2.3.1-19
Severity: important

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 05, 1999 at 02:44:43PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > > May I add a few items?:
> > >
> > > * Sound devices should be back in the base system (they are currently
> > > missing).
> >
> > IIRC, there are two different sets of sound devices, OSS ones and ALSA
> > ones.
>
> Are they incompatible?
>
> I refer to /dev/sound, /dev/dsp, etc.
>
> > IMHO, creating sound devices should be part of the sound
> > configuration steps, (we don't even ship a sound-enabled kernel, do we?).
>
> An unused device does not make any harm, and saves you the trouble to
> create it when you need it, and it was there in Debian 2.0. IMHO, these
> devices should not have had disappeared.

Ok.  This email opens an important a makedev bug.

This message is an important bug report so that we can get the makedev
postinst to add sound devices.  This should just mean something like,
in makedev postinst:

  [ -e /dev/audio ] || cd /dev && /dev/MAKEDEV audio

I don't really see what possible harm this could cause.