Re: dselect/dpkg

> On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, rrr wrote:
>> ok.  I posted a more detailed explanation of what happened, but got
>> no useful answer.  Here's the question with no background on how it
>> happened and what I think doesn't work: How do I "rebuild"
>> dselect/dpkg's idea of what is installed i.e what file holds the
>> "installed, not installed, dselected, etc." flags against the whole
>> "available" database?  Apt-get and "dselect/apt method" have a
>> serious gap in thier ability keep this straight.  If nothing else
>> (actually I would like this best) is there a way to get dpkg to
>> parse the p{ost, re}inst scripts to rebuild it's idea of what is
>> actually installed on the system?

As an alternative to Brandon's advice, if you haven't totally hosed
your status file, you can do 'dpkg --get-selections > package-state',
then wipe the / and /usr/ partitons (perhaps preserving /var and /etc
and of course /usr/local and /home and the file mentioned above,
'package-state').  Install from DBootStrap (aka boot-floppies) and
once you have the base system installed, do 'dpkg --set-selections <
package-state'.

If you are trying to correct a status file, i.e., it thinks this or
that package are not installed but they really are, there's no good
way to do that that I can think of, and even some reasons never to do
that.