Re: ss20 hypersparc smp update

On Friday 26 Sep 2003 15:17, Emanuel Schmid wrote:
> > 2.4.21 definitely works.... try using the following kernel config file:
> > -
> >
> > http://www2.david-web.co.uk/download/config-2.4.21-ss10+20-smp
> > [copy it in, then do make oldconfig before compiling]
> >
> > I have 2.4.21 compiled with this config running perfectly on a SS20 SMP.
> > If this doesn't work for you, it must be a problem with your compiler or
> > other system stuff.
>
> what cpu modules do you have installed?
>
> if you search the archive of this list, there will be one or two
> discussions about hypersparc modules in sparcstations.
> everytime i had the same conclusion: hypersparc modules that have more
> than 256k cache don't run in 2.4.x smp with x<=20.
> for me the problem was even dependant of the memory installed - with
> 16megs there was no problem, with more than 64megs the problems began.
>
> so if you say 2.4.21 runs on such configurations i probably should give it
> another try.

I run 2.4.21 with 2x SuperSPARC TMS39055's with 1M external cache and 128M
RAM. Runs perfectly and is very stable.

It's a bit rubbish if HyperSPARC SMP doesn't work properly. I'm not sure if
I've got any HyperSPARC MBUS modules, but I'll check and try it with my
kernel configuration if I have.

David.