2.2.13 cannot load modules

I just compiled and booted 2.2.13 (sun4c, Sparc IPX) on a BARE Slink
system (base dbootstrap install plus potato's apt, plus
kernel-package+gcc) and saw a couple interesting problems.

Firstly when I booted the machine to 2.2.13 for the first time I got
several hundred lines of errors saying something like 'operation not
permitted on /dev/cua0' and then a panic in the swapper process. So far
this problem hasn't been reproducable.

I am booting with console on serial port A, so it would already be in use.

The main problem is that insmod says for my modules 'ELF file not for this
archetecture' and fails to load anything.

I did compile on the Sparc, but had the kernel source tree NFS-mounted.

Any ideas?

-- Ferret no baka