Re: Checking for services to be restarted on a default Debian installation

* [Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 08:48:25PM +0200] Thijs Kinkhorst:
[needrestart]
- Do people agree that this would be something that's good to have in a
default installation? Are there drawbacks?

I like needrestart and I added it to my standard toolbox since its admission in Debian (well, it took some versions for being really usable with a readline front-end), so I second this proposal. Please however note that it is not a replacement for checkrestart or a plain lsof, as it doesn't care for programs that don't have an init script. Maybe for such programs needrestart should warn and advice that a manual intervention is required, in the same way it currently does for kernel upgrades ?

Ciao,
Gian Piero.