Re: Checking for services to be restarted on a default Debian installation

On Tue, Sep 02 2014, David Prévot <taffit@debian.org> wrote:
> Le 02/09/2014 04:05, Yves-Alexis Perez a écrit :
>
>> It's quite certain that about nobody know about debian-goodies or
>> checkrestart.
>
> The Securing Debian Manual recommends it, so hopefully you’re wrong.
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch4#s-lib-security-update

I agree that certainly most people do not know about it.  And it's
almost certain that most casual users do not.  I'm a long time Debian
user and I didn't know about it.

I think the original point raised in this thread is a good one.  There
should be a more unified and automated way for the system to know that
restart are needed in order for security fixes take affect.  Admins
should have to manually run obscure scripts to check things like that.

jamie.