Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

I like that idea, and it sounds fairly simple - packages just check
/etc/secure_level (or something similar) and do the "right thing". The
tricky part is convincing every package maintainer to adopt it ;)

There are some "hardening" packages available, but I haven't had a
chance to play with them yet. (and I didn't want them breaking my setup
while I didn't have time to fix things)