From: Jeff [mailto:jcoppock1@comcast.net]
Sent: 30 July 2003 22:44
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: XP box inside the firewall

Kristof Goossens, 2003-Jul-30 14:09 +0200:
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:01:06PM +0200, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> > Hi all!
>
> [snip]
>
> > The question is really if I could do something in the firewall that
> > would help isolate the XP box somewhat. Closing outgoing ports (input
> > ports are all closed), drop certain types of packages, or something
> > like that?
>
> You can set the notebook on a different network. Put the firewall/router
> on that network with another nic. It's the principle of a dmz... By
putting
> the notebook on another network, and prohibitting access from that network
> to the internal network, you can keep your internal systems safer...

This is a good option.  In addition, or even instead of this, educate
your parents about your security concerns.  Assuming that you trust
your parents, education could be the simplest solution.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User