RE: SSH2 Encryption

On Mon 10 Jun 2002 13:23, Anne Carasik wrote:

> This one time, Jeff Bonner wrote:

As in, "This one time, at band camp..."?  >;)  Also, sorry about
the wretched linebreaks, folks.  Good ol Outlook.

> Check the man page for what ciphers SSH2 accepts. I usually
> leave it on Blowfish because it's secure and it's the fastest
> cipher. AES sucks because it's dog slow, and it doesn't buy
> you that much more security than Blowfish.

Well, the manpage for ssh(1) shows the following, under SSH2:

   "Protocol 2 provides additional mechanisms for
   confidentiality (the traf-fic is encrypted using
   3DES, Blowfish, CAST128 or Arcfour) and integrity
   (hmac-md5, hmac-sha1)...."

However, it seems this package does support all the ones I had
given originally, as I mention in my reply to Mark Janssen on
this list; they showed up in my daemon.log later.

> > 3) Any reason you *wouldn't* want to use compression in SSH?
>
> Yes, if you're going over a high speed line, no reason to use
> compression. If you're connecting through a slow line (like a
> modem), use compression.

After reading the manpage to quote above, I noticed that it's
only applicable to SSH1 anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter.
:)

Thanks,

Jeff Bonner