Re: Bits about Intel MKL packaging -- Higher Priority than OpenBLAS

Le Sat, Apr 28, 2018 at 11:56:02AM -0700, Dima Kogan a écrit :

> If I was a user who manually added the non-free repos and then manually
> installed the mkl libraries, I'd be aggravated to find out that there's
> yet another hoop I need to jump through to actually use these libraries.
> This would be a waste of my time, especially since I have already taken
> actions to clearly indicate that I want MKL.

Hi Dima,

this user story supports your point of view, but it is not the only one.
For instance, on a shared workstation, if one user asks the system
administrator to install the mkl libraries, other users might be quite
surprised if they were enabled by default.  Let's not discuss which
scenario has the strongest balance between importance and probabiliby;
the point I would like to make is that on a system with broad aims such
as Debian, the reality is always going to be complex.

For this reason, it is frequent and fine to ask users to check
/usr/share/<package>/README.Debian after installing a package in order
to enable its functionality.  Extra sugar such as selection via Debconf
would of course be even better.

Have a nice week-end,

--
Charles Plessy