Re: mit-scheme testing removal (and cascading removals)

On 2021-10-14 08:31, bnewbold@robocracy.org wrote:

mit-scheme is marked for auto-removal from testing on 2021-11-06. It
looks like this may be due to the package dropping support for i386 in
the most recent release (11.x). Auto-removal would cascade to slib
(due to Build-Depends), and then on to other packages like scm, jacal,
and gauche.

It is possible i'm confused or have not kept with with some policy
change, and the removals will be resolved somehow (eg, ftp masters
override?). But I thought it would be worth checking with folks on
this list.

For example, maybe it would be possible to iterate (again) on the slib
Build-Depends setup.

Yes it's a bit unfortunate that now slib Build-Depends on every Scheme that supports slib. There was a similar problem with Gambit just after the last upload.

A possible solution might be to change (implementation-vicinity) to return somewhere user-writable like $HOME/.cache/slib/<scheme> and then the slibcat file would be generated automatically the first time a user loads slib in a particular Scheme. That avoids having to generate it as root in the post install, or bundling all possible slibcat files (as we do now).

--
Thanks,
Nick