Re: Text mode (CLI), Knoppix, russian

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 04:11:53PM +0100, Hans Schou wrote:
> I have tried to run the Debian distribution called Knoppix with
> language set up for russian. The GUI looks fine but when I turn over
> to text mode it still has latin screen font and keyboard driver.

Try

apt-get install console-cyrillic

This package contains cyrillic console fonts and keyboard mappings.
UniCyr font probably be the best choice for you.

> perfect as it can be. Also I want lynx to show cyrillic characters
> too. What do I do with Pine? Is there anything special I should do
> with 'vi'?

You should select cyrillic font for your xterm, it is enough for most
terminal applications. Try one of the fonts contained in xfonts-cyrillic,
xfonts-bolkhov-75dpi and xfonts-bolkhov-misc packages.
Note that for lynx you should explicitly specify encoding:

CHARACTER_SET:koi8-r
ASSUME_CHARSET:koi8-r
ASSUME_LOCAL_CHARSET:koi8-r

--
Andrey V. Kiselev
Home phone:  +7 812 5274898  ICQ# 26871517