Re: libruby, openssl and its GPL-incompatibility

On Sat, Aug 01, 2015 at 04:55:28PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> As a consequence, I can think of the following possible strategies to
> address this issue:
>
>  A) persuade the OpenSSL copyright holders to switch to a sane 3-clause
>     BSD license (which is GPL-compatible)
>
>  B) modify libruby to link with a GPL-compatible SSL/TLS implementation
>     (such as libgnutls or libnss or anything else fit for the purpose),
>     so that SSL/TLS is supported without loading GPL-incompatible
>     libraries
>
> Strategy A would solve a longstanding issue once and for all and would
> greatly benefit the whole Free Software community, but is known to be
> close to impossible. It has been probably attempted countless times in
> some 15 years and hasn't yet succeeded.
>
> Would strategy B be feasible?

I would only consider doing something like this if the code to make that
work is accepted upstream, and properly supported by the upstream
maintainers.

It's probably easier to make apt-listbugs use ruby-curb instead of
net/https. ruby-curb is a libcurl binding, that is linked against
libcurl-gnutls by default on Debian.

--
Antonio Terceiro <terceiro@debian.org>