Cooperating with the Gems Developers?

Hi all,
   Maybe we need to contact the gems developers on their own list and try
and work out a way to fix the main issues we see. We can't force them to do
any work, but if we present something concrete, we might be able to have a
more productive discussion than what's going on between us and this Austin
guy on ruby-core.

It's pretty obvious that the code/packaging data can and should be
separate, but we need to figure out a clean way of doing it. What we need
to focus on is a design that we can build tools around. Fortunately, we
have a lot of real-world know-how about how to separate packaging from
code, given what we do :-)

I'm not going to have much time until early next week to work on this, but
if no one else takes up the mantle, I'll start diving in to the gems spec
and code and see what I can come up with. Either way, let's use this thread
to hash out some sort of concrete proposal to take to them.

Even if gems in its current form does go in to ruby's HEAD, we can work
with the gems developers to fix it so it's not a problem in the future. If
we cooperate, it will very likely make our lives as ruby packagers a lot
easier in the long run.

 - David Nusinow