Re: Accepted net-snmp 5.8+dfsg-1 (source all amd64) into unstable, unstable

Hi Craig,

On 14-10-2019 04:27, Craig Small wrote:
> Hi Paul (and others),
>   I think I see the problem, the wiki has two places for transition.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/TransitionBestPractices which speaks to the

Whow, not updated since 2014.

Which is linked from https://release.debian.org/transitions/

> looks more like what the transition team need to do but has important
> instructions for developers.

Yes, that page is totally meant for developers.

> So it seems Debian's documentation strikes again.

Ack. I'll fix the first wiki page you mentioned. Thanks for bringing
that up.

> My understanding of experimental was it was used for, well, experimental
> stuff. However, the release teams page uses this as a standard workflow.

Yes, as has been communicated multiple times. Last that I know of (about
the source-only issue):
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2019/07/msg00002.html

The documentation about how to start transitions is indeed the second
wiki you mention.

> Regarding the source only uploads, this is the message you get if you
> try that.
>
> Source-only uploads to NEW are not allowed.
>
> binary:libsnmp35 is NEW.
> binary:libsnmp35-dbg is NEW.

Ack

> My understanding now is this running through experimental hack will
> "fix" this issue. You upload, I guess the full binary/source into
> experimental, wait, and then it's fine for sid once its updates.

Indeed.

> It looks like its going to be stuck in sid anyway, there is a
> perl-related problem that is somehow related to what the Debian
> packaging is doing to the module (it works ok as a plain upstream thing).

I'm subscribed to the snmp bugs (because of my cacti-spine reverse
dependency), so I saw that.

Paul