Re: binnmu?

Ugh, is there a reason that none of the relevant information is actually in
the bug report?

Because it wasn't forwarded to the BTS by debian-gcc@lists.debian.org. I was
told that the BTS is not the right place for this kind of requests anyways, so
I didn't bother putting it here myself either. Now it's there.

For me to be willing to schedule a binNMU for this issue I would need to
understand why building with an older compiler broke it, because gcc 4.0 and
4.1 are supposed to be ABI-compatible.  Also, the bug report doesn't discuss
which architectures are affected, it only mentions amd64.

Since I don't have all the architectures I can't tell for sure. But I encountered
this problem on i386 as well as amd64. I suggest to rebuild it for all.
I can't tell why or if the supposed to be compatible ABI changes are the problem or not, I only know the problem disappears when both are built with the same g++.
Maybe this is of help, or talking to upstream (he explained it to me once):
http://bugs.debian.org/386966
Upstream can be found in #ocp on irc.gnu.org (freenode) (mw|)

Finally, the file required for reproducing this failure is on a website
that's not accessible, so without that I don't even have a backtrace to
understand what the failure is because you didn't provide one.  Please
append the test case to the bug report.

Any sid file can be used, here's the one mentioned (sorry the URL broke,
the SPARC broke, due some kernel and silo problem)
http://bee.ethz.ch/someday.sid

Yours,
Gürkan

--- for the record ---
I have a package that was built with g++-4.1_4.1.1-21 for amd64 ocp 0.1.11-1
that links against a library built with g++-4.0_4.0.3-1 for amd64 libsidplay
1.36.59-4.

This is a problem when using that library, the software crashes. You can simply
reproduce this the following way on etch:

# apt-get install opencubicplayer
$ wget http://cow.ethz.ch/someday.sid
$ ocp someday.sid

It'll segfault.

Here's where I found out about the used g++ versions:
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=libsidplay&ver=1.36.59-4&arch=amd64&stamp=1142734365&file=log
http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=ocp&ver=1%3A0.1.11-1&arch=amd64&stamp=1166098153&file=log

Can you suggest a way to have one or the other package fixed (best would be
to have both rebuilt with the same g++ version)?

Yours,
Guerkan