Re: r-cran-rstan issue and r-cran-boost version [notifications@github.com: Re: [stan-dev/rstan] Does not build on 32 bit architectures any more (Issue #1032)]

Hi Nilesh,

Am Wed, Mar 08, 2023 at 09:42:43PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
> On 3/8/23 12:48, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > upstream suspects that the issue to build r-cran-rstan might be connected to
> > the boost version that is used.
>
> I've managed to get this building (along with passing autopkgtests) in an i386 chroot
> with a patch. It probably should be able to build on other 32-bit archs too.
>
> Changes pushed to salsa.

Thanks a lot.

> It took a bit of tussling with the Makevars file to get it right, because it
> is impossible to tune some of the gcc/g++ based options that R passes, since it
> is hard-coded in "/etc/R/Makeconf", which is a bit of a bummer.
> (And no, I don't want to hear that this is how it is since time immemorial, every single
> build system I've ever used has an option to tune compiler options, except this one)

Do you have some suggestion how to fix this to enhance the situation in
future?

> @Andreas: Please do not upload the package, these changes might not be appropriate at freeze time.
> And when you do the next upload, kindly do check if it builds without the 32-bit
> patch (provided the situation with bh/boost settles down).

I do not intend to upload to unstable.  IMHO the pool of r-* packages
maintained by Debian R team is ready now for bookworm and only RC bugs
should be fixed in case those will be filed.  We'll re-evaluate the
situation once bookworm is released.

Kind regards
   Andreas.

--