Request for information

Dear Sir/Madam,

I tried to install Debian in my laptop several times but failed.

I use binary-i386-1.iso image to burn install cd, and I also use
binary-i386-NONUS-1.iso.

First of all , these two cd cause my mbr break, and can not boot back to
wins.

One harddisk in the laptop. first 2G for wins, and other for Linux.

There is two points, one is I boot these two cds, partition my harddisk,

write it, install failed (install failed is another problem), I cannot
boot my windows 98
again, I just boot from floppy to save the mbr  to boot wins98 again.

Then  I just boot these 2 cds, do nothing , then reboot my laptop. Same
as above.
Just boot these two cds ,  but DO NOTHING,  it will also destroy master
boot record, I use
fdisk /mbr , but failed, I need to use another methods to save my data
and boot wins98 again.

I think it does not make sense.

I try to use Suse 7.0, Mandrake7.2,7.1, Redhat6.2,7.0, TurboLinux6.2,
but no these problem.
I also try Freebsd 4.2, no these problems, success to install and dual
boot but just partition the
harddisk in a strange way, so partitionmagic cannot detect, others are
normal.

I trid to install Debain 2.0 and success, but just cannot setup pppoe,
as it does not detect my
pcmcia lan card, others are great.And finally I set pppoe up.

Also there are 3 binaries cds.

Would you tell me the detail information about these 3 cds ?

I tried the binary1 cd, I do not recommend it.

How about the other two cds ?

I read the release note.

Vanilla, udma66, compact and idepci.
Is there 4 cds, which cd (or cd iso image) represent to which, e.g.

binary-i386-1.iso and binary-i386-NONUS-1.iso ----> Vanilla ?
Which cd iso image are 'compact' kernel ? binary-i386-2.iso ?
I cannot find readme to read on.
Try to organise the information better.

Where can I found detail information ?

Please advice.