Re: cython 3.x (for Python 3.12)

On Sat, Nov 25, 2023 at 04:23:46PM +0000, Stefano Rivera wrote:
> As part of preparing for Python 3.12 in Debian, I've uploaded cython 3
> to experimental.
> [...]
>
> So, that's 71 regressions with cython3. dd-list below. Please help us
> port to cython 3. If this isn't possible, Graham is preparing a
> cython-legacy package, to help the stragglers. But we're expecting that
> this won't have great Python 3.12 support...
> https://ftp-master.debian.org/new/cython-legacy_0.29.36-1~exp1.html

Here's an update on cython-legacy.  I just tried running autopkgtest
on cython-legacy with Python 3.12, and unfortunately it fails.  I
can't quite work out how many tests fail (I don't understand the
format of the test output), but there are 25 lines containing the
string "FAIL" in the output of autopkgtest with the latest version of
cython-legacy (0.29.36-2, uploaded today).

We could just skip these tests - some of them are probably harmless -
but they probably indicate incompatibilty (unsurprisingly) with Python
3.12, though some of these incompatibilties may be restricted to the
tests themselves rather than the underlying Cython 0.x code.

I'd be happy to try uploading a version with these tests skipped - I
just wanted to check here first what the thoughts on this are.  (Note
that it is much better to modify other packages to work with Cython
3.x!)

Best wishes,

   Julian