Re: How should upstream document/communicate none-Python dependencies?

In the OpenStack ecosystem we mostly solved this around 8 years ago
with https://pypi.org/project/bindep which is effectively a manifest
of distribution package names and a grammar for indicating
differences in package naming or requirements between different
distributions and versions thereof. It's used quite heavily by
hundreds of projects in our ecosystem, and has been picked up by a
lot of projects outside OpenStack as well. Where it mostly shines is
when you want to provide some means of confirming you have the
correct packages in your development system to be able to
install/run a project and its tests, but we also rely on it heavily
in automated CI jobs to determine what non-Python packages should be
installed for tests to execute correctly.
--
Jeremy Stanley