Re: Moving off of git-dpm (Re: git-dpm breakage src:faker)

On Feb 10 2017, Scott Kitterman <debian@kitterman.com> wrote:

>>> OK.  So then I gather it's effectively a layer on top of 'normal'
>>> things like gbp-pq or git-dpm?  What added value would it provide?
>>
>>Among other things, it enables users to run 'dgit clone', and get an
>>up-to-date, patches-applied copy of the most recent source package.
>
> How is that different/better than debcheckout?

It works all the time. debcheckout does not guarantee you the newest
version (VCS may lag behind Debian archive), nor does it guarantee a
patches applied, complete package (you might end up with just debian/,
patches-unapplied, or even weirder things).

Best,
-Nikolaus