Re: Python license and GPL programs

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 09:56:46AM +0100, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 January 2001, at 11 h 45, the keyboard of Peter Eckersley
> <pde@cs.mu.oz.au> wrote:
>
> > clause requiring legal disputes to be settled under the jurisdiction of the
> > State of Virginia, USA,
>

> I maintain a Python program, which is GPL. I live in France and I'll never
> accept such a clause. What can I do?

Well... the answer is complicated.

As Ben pointed out, if your program is *just* in Python (no C extensions),
you're fine.

If you listen to CNRI or BeOpen's lawyers (but not Eben Moglen & the FSF),
you're fine.

If you can find French laws which say that these clauses are
illegal/irrelevant in France, you're fine.

Finally, you can stick with Python 1.5.2; I also believe there were rumours
about a FSF-encouraged fork of Python 1.5.2 to re-implement all of the
features found in Python 2.  I have no idea how feasible or likely that is.

It's amazing how apparent legal trivialities can suck so much :)

--
Peter Eckersley                         http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~pde
(pde@cs.mu.oz.au)              TLI:  http://www.computerbank.org.au