Re: Policy for naming python packages

On Fri, Jun 09, 2000 at 02:44:36PM +0200, JИrТme Marant wrote:
> > I am pretty sure that python- prefix is for packages that provide some functionality
> > in /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/python{version}/site-packages
>
> Do you mean those whose .py files directly fit in site-packages itself ?
> There are plenty of libraries that are not prefixed with 'python-' and
> located in /usr/lib/python{version}/site-packages/package-name.
> For instance: HTMLgen, sulfur and many others.
>
> I didn't find any policy about python, except a README.maintainers in
> /usr/share/doc/python.
> If there is is no such policy, I would a very interested in helping
> writing such a document.
Neither me.  I do remember there was something about that but I do not remember
what this duscussion resulted in. :)

I'd say that if a package contains a library only, it should be named like
python-<something>, and if it also contains an executable (like HTMLgen does or
linbot) it should be named after its upstream name...

--
Misha