Re: How do you manage debian mails on your mailbox?

Yes, I use peb@pimeys.fr which is my main public mail since 2014.

> - - Do you have any sensible way to cope up with so many mails from
> different mailing lists and not potentially miss out on something important?

My previous setup, relying on mutt, and aggressive procmail filtering,
was working nice, my inbox only had mails for my Debian address that
really needed to land there. The issue I had was that relevant mail also
went into some directories I regularly forgot to read and sometimes I
found myself lagging because of that rather than because I'm lazy.

I wanted to move to mutt + notmuch, but I did not really like it. So I
tried emacs + notmuch but I was also unhappy.

Then I remembered my PhD Director was using emacs + mu + mu4e. mu and
notmuch are quite comparable (they're very efficient very fast mail
indexers/searching tools), and mu4e was more of what I expected for a
frontend in emacs.

So, this is my setup, now, and it takes no time for mu to lookup in its
index of my 316k mails and to grab me the ones that match best my query,
and then it takes little time to mu4e to grab the threads around these
mails and give them to me.

The setup is a bit tedious the first time, though : you need to do
either offlineimap or mbsync/isync to grab all mails locally, then you
need to configure mu/notmuch to index those mails (indexing several
thousands mails takes a bit of time), and then you can start to
browse. (and you need to learn how to use these softs, too)

Some pros:

 1. You have a full copy of your mails locally.
 2. It's still IMAP so there's synchronization of states.
 3. It's *really* fast to search and retrieve
 4. It can cope with truckloads of mails

Some cons:

 1. The MUA is constrained (notmuch is working with few MUAs, mu, I
    aready know of mu4e for emacs)
 2. New softs to learn to use, a toolchain a bit more complex
 3. Local storage is impacted (twice, for the raw mails, and for the
    index database)
 4. With mu (IDK for notmuch), updates come sometimes with non-backward
    compatible xapian DB update, and one needs to reindex (I had to do
    it twice in a year or so).

Cheers,
--
PEB