Re: Why are in-person meetings required for the debian keyring?

    Nikolaus> However, it seems to me that meeting someone in person
    Nikolaus> isn't actually verifying the relevant identity here. My
    Nikolaus> trust in a Debian developer is not based on him holding a
    Nikolaus> particular legal name, it is in his history of
    Nikolaus> contributions. In other words: just because I'm sure about
    Nikolaus> someone's legal name, I wouldn't trust him to run code on
    Nikolaus> my computer. But if someone has been contributing to
    Nikolaus> Debian for 5 years with a specific GPG key, I'd probably
    Nikolaus> trust him to prepare a package no matter if the name
    Nikolaus> associated with the GPG key actually corresponds to some
    Nikolaus> legal identity or not.

There are lots of types of trust involved.
I definitely think past contributions is part of it.
However, I also thing it's desirable that we have some probability of
being able to engage a legal process if we needed to.  Imagine someone
intentionally uploaded some  compromised software to Debian with the
purpose of harming our users/turning debian machines into bots/etc.

That's something we should not stand for, and being able to respond to
that sort of thing in the legal system does have to do with a binding to
a particular legal identity.

An in-person meeting is neither necessary nor sufficient for that sort
of legal binding, but I suspect in a number of cases it would help
significantly.

--Sam