Re: Better visibility of "what can you do with Debian" on the Debian main page

On Thursday 14 April 2011 23.37:16 Steffen Möller wrote:
> On 04/14/2011 11:28 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 09:54:40AM -0700, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> >> I think a case could be made for Debian's apt system being the
> >> original "app store"
> >
> > Yes.  That's what I wanted to say in my previous mail!
> >
> > And because there was a mail about not accepting the term app store
> > because repository is such a good name:  I have no idea whether
>
> [...]
> How about "Free App Store" ?

And what is wrong with just plain "Applications"? I think the whole "app
store" thing is blown out of proportion by the marketing teams of a few
companies, we do not need to join he hype on this. We offer an OS, and (my
original point) we also offer applications in the same bundle. And the joke
is that the user doesn't even need to download them separately from some web
page, but they're bundled with the OS (meaning: either they're on the DVD
with the OS, or the installation is integrated with the usual OS tools.)

*That* is the story we should try to get across: you don't need to visit
some "app store" place or whatever, but after you installed Debian, you
already got all the tools you need. Python's "Batteries included" idea,
really.

cheers
-- vbi

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 32nd day of Discord in the YOLD 3177