Re: Debian on IBM RS/6000 7248-43p

On 11/05/2023 12:34, Alexander Huemer wrote:

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 01:26:32PM +0200, Gabriel Paubert wrote:
On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 01:03:21PM +0200, Alexander Huemer wrote:
Hi!

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 12:12:40PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Alexander!

On Thu, 2023-05-11 at 12:01 +0200, Alexander Huemer wrote:
CD-ROM based installation is supported for most architectures.

Again, I don't know if CD-ROM based installation is expected work on
PReP. [5] doesn't contain any ISO images. I've tried [6] though that
doesn't boot.

Current images can found here:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/snapshots/__;!!D9dNQwwGXtA!WusbLcdmFSNxyemb5ZCzGZepjyHg_TePq9j0I3dx-OK7MeoAJf9g9blL5z9OH70U96Tn1LZK-4j8PLL_zOY62VdA4A$

Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately doesn't boot either.
Again, I am not sure if this is supposed to work or if I need a special
boot floppy or something like that.

I suspect it is hopeless, as far as I remember PReP support disappeared
when the ppc and ppc64 kernel trees were merged into the single powerpc
architecture.

I would be perfectly fine with installing an ancient Debian release.
Apparently that has worked some people in the past. So far, nothing
booted, but that is most likely due to operator error. I just can't
figure out what that error is. The PReP firmware isn't very chatty
regarding what is happening.

Not sure if it will necessarily work for you, however the image we use for boot testing QEMU's 40p machine with OpenBIOS can be found over at http://www.juneau-lug.org/sandalfoot.php. At the very least you should find some of the information over on that page useful.

ATB,

Mark.