Re: Can't upgrade kernel or GRUB: /boot/grub is a read-only filesystem

Hello!

On Sun, 2023-05-07 at 20:54 -0400, Ben Westover wrote:
> When I ran apt upgrade on my iMac G3, the kernel and GRUB packages
> failed to configure. The step that failed in each case was update-grub
> or grub-install, which failed when trying to write to the /boot/grub HFS
> partition because it's a "Read-only filesystem."

Please install the hfsprogs package, then run fsck.hfs on the affected
partition.

> It now makes sense why writing to the disk fails, as it seems any HFS
> mount is automatically read-only, but why is this only now breaking
> kernel upgrades? It can't have been a recent change to HFS mounting,
> since my live environment's ISO was from December 2022. Does anyone know
> what the problem here could be?

It's a known problem and can be fixed by running fsck.hfs. In the future,
it would be nice if we could switch the /boot/grub partition to FAT32
as it should be supported by the NewWorld firmware.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer