Re: Can't upgrade kernel or GRUB: /boot/grub is a read-only filesystem

Hi Bob,

On 5/7/23 9:40 PM, Bob McGowan wrote:
I would suggest you run an fsck on the filesystem and see if there are any problems.

Filesystems may be considered "required" for the system to function and be mounted read-only when problems are detected, to prevent further problems from developing while allowing the system to run.

I had already run generic fsck on the filesystem, and it ran without any meaningful output, so I assumed it was clean. It turns out the real fsck.hfs program is inside the hfsprogs packages, not installed by default, instead of the hfsutils package that every new install comes with. One fsck.hfs later, the filesystem was repaired and became writable again. I wish either that the hfsprogs package was installed by default on powerpc, since it seems to be pretty important to have, or at least the system did something to tell me there was a problem other than just silently mounting it read-only.

Thanks for your suggestion!
--
Ben Westover