Re: netinst ppc64 2022-03-24 fails to install GRUB boot loader

On 3/27/22 22:25, Ken Cunningham wrote:
Your log said that you saw this:

grub-install: error: filesystem on /boot/grub is neither HFS nor HFS+

I have no idea what the filesystem on /boot/grub might be, but it should be HFS or HFS+ for this to work.

So, assuming you are using the blessed ISO and no other, what I would do is start fresh.

eg, mount the drive from a different macOS system using Firewire mode, delete all the existing partitions on the drive using Disk Utility, and then reboot the system using the CD, holding down the “C” key during boot.

After it boots, let it have the entire disc, and let all the defaults be the defaults.

That should work. If it doesn’t work, time for a new log I guess.

I have already used dd from a shell prompt to wipe out significant
sections[1] of sda and sdb. The netinst installer then fails to install
GRUB with absolutely no valid reason. I have been doing this sort of
testing for years.  What that same machine. I know that the netinst is
likely at fault and will simply wait a while. For whatever reasons the
boot partition was not formatted. No idea why.

Dennis

[1] dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096 count=16384

    That is more than enough to clear out partition tables etc.