Re: Kernel broken for Apple powerbooks

Hi Guiseppe!

On 8/28/20 3:14 PM, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> since two months I am debugging the kernel boot process on an Apple
> powerbook because latest Debian kernels do not boot. I already opened a bug against debian src:linux package[1].
> Finally, I found the problem and I reported it upstream [2].

Thanks for tracing this down. I'm not sure, however, whether your bug report
will get any attention there. It's better to post it on the official kernel
mailing list called linuxppc-dev [1] and the kernel bugzilla [2].

> It seems the fix will require some time, but in the meantime, the
> kernel may be built and work if CONFIG_VMAP_STACK is not set
> Since powerpc is not currently a released architecture, who should I
> bug for changing this option for the kernels available at
> https://www.ports.debian.org/?
>
> Or, is there any ppc32 porter able to propose a patch?

You still report your bugs against src:linux. Even in Debian Ports, virtually
all source changes are made through the normal packages in unstable. We
don't have separate package sources in Debian Ports.

Alternatively, you can just open a PR yourself like I did for SuperH (sh4) [3].

Don't forget to create a changelog entry with "dch --no-auto-nmu".

Adrian