Re: Installer from Ports, ppc 32 bit : "No kernel modules found"[was: Re: problem with page /ports/powerpc/]

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 02:09:20 +0100
Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 00:50:01 +0100
> John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>
> > On 12/04/2017 12:14 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > > I have to rebuild debian-installer to match the 4.14 kernel. The
> > > current version of debian-installer on the installation images is
> > > built against 4.13 but unstable has kernel 4.14. I will fix this
> > > tomorrow.
> >
> > I have done this now although it's almost 1 AM in the morning
> > here ... Should work now, I just uploaded the updated image.
>
> Works, it seems:
> Just started the same install: no error messages regarding the modules
> anymore.
>
> I didn't finish the install  - I'm tired. So I aborted the install.
>
> Aborting the install crashed - but that might be a hardware, not
> sure.
>
> More in the next 24 hrs. or so ...

tl;dr
Successful install last night on a
Titanium IV (PowerBook3,5 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh) with a
debian-9.0-powerpc-NETINST-1.iso from
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/
Console: mess. X: crashes. Sleep: broke

Details:
At some point, when trying to abort the install, the installer couldn't
properly shutdown the machine - Photo:
https://i.imgur.com/MJGBrRX.jpg

The newly installed system seems fine so far except X, plus sleep mode:

Awesome, the window manager, crashes the system at times. Such
crashes are what I'm used to with this machine even with an older
previous Debian install - Debian 8, IIRC, and a different X,
without awesome. But that crash might be a hardware issue: quite some
time ago the inverter for this machine was replaced by a new one.

There seems to be an issue with, or different system behavior when
closing the lid for an intended sleep mode - the system *seems* to
crash, and does not wake up after opening the lid - the next system
boot needs the power button to be hold down for five or 10 seconds to
boot, or even  pressing the button multiple times - normally this
needs one single press for a second or so. Weird ...
Powering down the system with the usual "shutdown -h now"  doesn't
result in this problem to power up the machine again.

And sometimes when closing the lid, all that happens is that the light
goes off, system does not seem to get powered down into sleep mode.
And I get a black blank screen when opening again the lid. At least
typing blindly  "shutdown -h now" on a console with root logged in
most of the times work ...

Console:
I didn't find any bar key ("|") there, which is a real PITA, and
the right "Enter" key next to the right side "Apple" key, cannot be
reconfigured to act as "AltGr". So: No third layer, up until now:
and yes: I did a
"dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration" multiple times.
Anyone has a working /etc/default/keyboard config for an old Powerbook?

I'll try to install this same version of that ports installer to an
Alubook ( i.e PowerBook5,8 MacRISC3 Power Macintosh), from around 2005,
in the next days, and see what happens ...

Let me know, please, if you want the syslog for this upcoming install
posted somewhere (could become a ~400 KB file).

Any wishes?

PS: thanks, Adrian, for letting me know about awesome - looks cool,
that beast, and it seems highly configurable. And I even forgive these
guys their inclination towards vi .. :)

Regards
Wolfgang