Re: Xorg won't start on a PowerMac 9600 (ATI Mach64)

On 06/ago/07, at 23:31, Rob Homsi wrote:

Hi,
I've got a powermac 6500/225, which is a bit older than yours. My
graphic card is built in:

00:12.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage I/ II 215GT [Mach64 GT] (rev 41)

It uses the ati module and not the atimisc that you're using. have you
tried substituting "atimisc" with "ati" or "vesa" in xorg.conf?

I already have "ati" in xorg.conf. AFAICT "atimisc" is a sub-module and gets loaded automatically by the "ati" driver:

(II) Loading sub module "atimisc"
(II) LoadModule: "atimisc"
[...]
(II) UnloadModule: "ati"
(II) UnloadModule: "atimisc"

Using "vesa" yields "no such module". I also tried "vga", but it freezed the machine. Disabling "DRI" does not help either.

I can't imagine that atimisc doesn't support 24 bits.
Maybe the support for your card is just crappy. Have you had xorg or
XFree86 running on it before?

No, it's my first attempt at installing Linux on this machine. Now that I think about it, I can't even get millions of colors in Mac OS. Maybe it's the card itself that is crappy.

Maybe you should post a bug report for xserver-xorg, they were very
helpful there with my problem. Eventhough they couldn't solve it, at
least I know the exact problem now.

Will do that, I'm gathering all the required info.

Last but not least, I also have an adapter for my screen cable, you
don't have to set any screen resolutions on it and it supports multiple
resolutions between 15" and 19". Maybe you should look on ebay for
something like that.

I have one of those too, but as I said this does not make any difference.

Thanks for the hints, I'm still stuck but I do appreciate your help. Will let you and the list know if I find out something.

Damiano