Constantly Switching Gnome Theme on Fresh Install

Hi,

I've just done a fresh install of Debian Etch from a daily build net- install cd image on an iMac DV SE (g3, graphite), and everything is working fine except that the gnome theme is constantly changing between the one I have it set to and and old-looking theme. It looks as though there is some conflict between theme settings.

After a while, I received this error:

There was an error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon.

Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly.

The Settings Daemon restarted too many times.

The last error message was:

System exception: IDL:Bonobo/GeneralError:1.0 : Child process did not give an error message, unknown failure occurred

GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.

So what's going on? It's bringing my system to a halt. Not sure if its a ppc-specific issue or not.

Torrance