Re: Unable to boot with debian kernel 2.6.15

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 04:02:24PM +0100, Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 the mental interface of
> Wouter Lueks told:
>
> [...]
> >         initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-powerpc
> >
> > initrd content:

Its supposed to be a initramfs ramdisk, not in the initrd format anymore.

> Why are you guys using that damn ...... initrd? Compile all stuff

Because the debian kernel is supposed to run on all matter of hardware, from
oldworld pmacs, to newer powerbooks, passing by pegasos machine and motorola
prep powerstacks.

The old 2.4 non-ramdisk kernels did grow immensely upto 5 MB of compressed
image, compared to the 1.8MB of compressed image we have now.

Also, the ramdisk images make things like suspend-to-ram or nfs root or
crypted filesystems easier or even make things possible that would not have
been possible in a plain non-ramdisk system.

> needed for booting directly into the kernel, throw initrd away and
> you're happy. initrd just makes sense in the case of distri kernels

Well, he specifically was mentioning using the debian kernels, did he not ?

> like the udev ones, where the hardware and choosen fs isn't known by
> the maintainer ;)

what has udev to do with distri kernel ? yaird for example doesn't use udev at
all, only initramfs-tools has this failing. yaird and initramfs-tools in
MODULES=dep mode, i think, make it easy to chose the modules in function of
the information provided in /sys, and easily find which modules are needed and
include them in the ramdisk.

I feel that this problem is a tool with either initramfs-tools or yaird, and
we need a proper bug to be filled against them, including the installation
log, to know which of the two was used and is buggy.

Friendly,

Sven Luther