Re: good wireless card ppc debian

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 07:58:05PM +0100, Douglas Russell wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 Aug 2005 14:45, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > I had to unscrew a Powerbook G4 to install the card
>
> Unscrew it?

Yes.

> What kind of card was that?

The Apple "Airport" card, about 2 or 3 years old now, that I bought
separately from the Titanium. I.e. this radio card wasn't part of the
Titanium IV when I bought the latter. Apple even gives usable
instructions in the Handbook coming with the computer on how to
install the card. IINM (I'm not sure on it as there were no specs
delivered with the Airport card) the card is an 802.11b one, but could
perhaps be upgraded via an OSX firmware upgrade to 802.11g. Please see
this Apple document:

Recent kernels see the card, when I start it, as an orinoco incident.

> You found something you could mount
> internally?

Not being sure about what you mean with "mount", but if you mean
"getting it running" with the neccessary drivers here: Yes, the card
works, with WEP "encryption" (please see my previous message for the
reason of the quotes ... :) and with a "Bit Rate:11 Mb/s", according
to iwconfig.

As a sidenote: the kernel (2..6.12) says the card is "WEP supported,
104-bit key", but the passphrase on the Access Point is set to "126
bits 26 hex digits" ...  And I have a working connection currently to
this AP. So it seems to me the security situation for the card, tho
still ugly, is slightly better than even the kernel thinks it is
... :)

Here's the /etc/network/interfaces file that loads the orinoco card
here (with the sensitive parts and stuff that's commented, removed):

---------------------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# wireless orinoco:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
pre-up modprobe airport

# START/STOP WEP DRIVERS:
pre-up modprobe arc4
pre-up modprobe crc32c
post-down rmmod arc4
post-down rmmod crc32c
post-down rmmod libcrc32c
# END WEP DRIVERS

post-down rmmod airport
post-down rmmod orinoco
post-down rmmod hermes

wireless-mode managed
wireless_key restricted
  wireless_key1 [deleted]
  wireless_key2 [deleted]
  wireless_key3 [deleted]
  wireless_key4 [deleted]
  wireless_defaultkey [deleted]

wireless-essid [deleted]

hwaddress ether [deleted]

  gateway 192.168.1.1
  network 192.168.1.0
---------------------------------------

Security hint (or at least that's what I hope it is ... :), for those
who don't know yet:

"hwaddress ether" above means you can set a MAC address for cards that
allow this setting. This makes restrictions possible for access wishes
to your AP via MAC address filtering that's organised on your AP
.. nice feature that some access points, or at least the one I use
(WRT54G, linksys.com) have ..

Regards
Wolfgang
--