Re: external Display and FBDev

hi,

just for the record [don't know if it's relevant since you're mostly
talking newer machines here]. on ibook g3 900mhz [think that's radeon
7500] and xorg packages from ubuntu hoary it's working pretty much out
of the box here, didn't have to apply any patches or whatsoever.

there is actually two ways to configure it:
a) just disable UseFbDev, and set CRT2Position, and it will work as soon
as you connect the 2nd head and restart X. downside is that you will
have one big merged screen and you cannot address them seperately
through sth. like dislpay :0.1 and :0.0 and from all
lightweight windowmanagers (wmi, wmii, larswm, ratpoison, ion3) only
ion3 senses the two monitors, and does not maximize windows over both
screens.

b) configure two seperate devices [drop me mail if you want my config],
then you can actually address them throu :0.1 and :0.0, downside is this
setup seems to be quite cpu intensive e.g when you move the mouse from
one screen to the other, and some windowmanagers get confused over which
program they started on which screen and generally which screen they are
controlling at the moment.

so for now i'm going with a) and ion.

cheers float