Re: iMac Graphite

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 10:08:20PM -0400, Todd Shrider wrote:
> Sorry to keep ask stupid questions, but:
>
> I just got rid of my iMac rev. A for a Special Edition. Is this the same
> as a DV? I'm having some trouble with BootX for the debian install (I'm

does it have a slot loading CDROM?  i think all the DVs are slot

if it is a DV bootX will not work, well it works (sortof) but the
screen is shut off before bootx gets control and we can't get it back
on it again ;-)

yaboot is better on newworlds anyway.

> referencing www.debia.org/~wmono/powerpc) and I am having even more
> trouble finding any good docuementation for yaboot.

im working on it.

> If anyone has any good pointers or has had success getting their
> Graphite box to boot please share. Thanks!

you need an 800K bootstrap partition with type Apple_Bootstrap, it
must be the first partition on the disk.  since you only have one disk
its easier to get a bootable CD or other removable storage.  if that
is not an option and you are going to install macos, then you can
temporarly load yaboot from the macos partition.

if your going to install macos then do the following:

boot a macos CD

run apples drive setup program

reinitailize the disk, create 2 partitions, the first should be the
total size of all the linux partitions you wnat to create.  do not try
to make linux partitions with apples program, it won't work.  just
make it HFS since we will delete this partition later anyway.

the second partition is your macos parititon.

install macos on the second macos partition.

copy the yaboot exectable to the macos partition along with a kernel
and debian root1440.bin image.  (all on the root of the partition)

create a text file yaboot.conf next to yaboot with the following:

device=hd:
timeout=50

image=vmlinux
        label=debian
	initrd=root1440.bin
	initrd-size=8192

now boot into OpenFirmware (hold down command option o f) at the 0>
prompt type:

boot hd:7,yaboot

the 7 SHOULD be write (looking at a disk partitioned with apples
recent drive setup) apple's utility creates a bunch of useless cruft
partitions that it won't let you see.  just keep trying numbers till
it works ;-)

once yaboot laods you get a:

Welcome to yaboot 0.5
config file read 200 bytes
boot:

at this point you can type debian and hit return and you should boot
into the linux kernel and debian installer.

depending on the version of the boot floppies you have you may have to
switch to VC 2 and run mac-fdisk yourself, once in mac-fdisk do the
following:

(replace /dev/sdb with /dev/hda if its IDE disk (im sure it is)

# mac-fdisk /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb
Command (? for help): p
/dev/sdb
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/sdb1     Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1       ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sdb2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               54 @ 64      ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/sdb3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               74 @ 118     ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/sdb4      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh              512 @ 192     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/sdb5           Apple_Patches Patch Partition        512 @ 704     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/sdb6               Apple_HFS untitled            527582 @ 1216    (257.6M)  HFS
/dev/sdb7               Apple_HFS untitled 2          333025 @ 195773  (162.6M)  HFS
/dev/sdb8              Apple_Free Extra                   10 @ 528798  (  5.0k)  Free space

delete the first HFS partition like so:

Command (? for help): d
Partition number: 6
Command (? for help): C
First block: 6P
Length in blocks: 800K
Name of partition: bootstrap
Type of partition: Apple_Bootstrap
Command (? for help): p
/dev/sdb
        #                    type name                length   base    ( size )  system
/dev/sdb1     Apple_partition_map Apple                   63 @ 1       ( 31.5k)  Partition map
/dev/sdb2          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               54 @ 64      ( 27.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/sdb3          Apple_Driver43 Macintosh               74 @ 118     ( 37.0k)  Driver 4.3
/dev/sdb4      Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh              512 @ 192     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/sdb5           Apple_Patches Patch Partition        512 @ 704     (256.0k)  Unknown
/dev/sdb6         Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap             1600 @ 1216    (800.0k)  Unknown
/dev/sdb7              Apple_Free Extra               192957 @ 2816    ( 94.2M)  Free space
/dev/sdb8               Apple_HFS untitled 2          333025 @ 195773  (162.6M)  HFS
/dev/sdb9              Apple_Free Extra                   10 @ 528798  (  5.0k)  Free space

now create as many linux partitions as you want like this:

Command (? for help): c
First block: 7P
Length in blocks: 7P

this example fills the entire `gap' that was left when deleting the
first dummy HFS partition, you should create more then one linux
partition, instead of using xP for length in blocks, enter the number
of MB followed by an M, like this:  Length in blocks: 100M

the number 7 in this case corrosponds to the Apple_Free partition (the
one after bootstrap) each partition you create will increment the
Apple_Free partition number, so print the table each time you add a
new partition to see the right number)

Name of partition: /
/dev/sdb7         Apple_UNIX_SVR2 /                   192957 @ 2816    ( 94.2M)  Linux native
/dev/sdb8               Apple_HFS untitled 2          333025 @ 195773  (162.6M)  HFS
/dev/sdb9              Apple_Free Extra                   10 @ 528798  (  5.0k)  Free space

once satified write the table:

Command (? for help): w
Writing the map destroys what was there before. Is that okay? [n/y]: y
The partition table has been altered!

SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 528808 [258 MB] [0.3 GB]
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8 sdb9
SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 528808 [258 MB] [0.3 GB]
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 sdb5 sdb6 sdb7 sdb8 sdb9
Command (? for help): q
#

you can now install the base system, to install and maintain yaboot on
the bootstrap partition look into ybin, it creates a somewhat lilo
like way to manage the bootstrap.  you can find ybin at my page (see
.sig)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/