Broken /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives (or was it /etc/alternatives?)

Hi

Due to a broken base tarball, I still have a broken variant of one of the
directories mentioned in the subject. How can I fix it? Is it enough to just
reinstall dpkg?
Reinstalling from scratch is not an option at the moment.

Thanks in advance

Michel

--
Why drink & drive when you can smoke and fly?
Michel Daenzer			          ///	        mdaenzer@earthling.net