nocheck (don't run) vs nodoc (don't build)

Hi,

Policy 4.9.1 states that (emphases mine):
  * "[nocheck] says not to *run* any build-time test suite"
  * "[nodoc] says to skip any *build* steps"

My reading with regards to 'nocheck' was that where tests were available
and needed to be built, then they should always be built, just not run.

A typical example might be a C library package that builds those tests
and ships them as autopkgtests, maybe even in a dedicated package.

I thought this line of reasoning was sound, but then I remembered the
'nodoc' tag and now I am no longer sure. Maybe I'm taking the 'nocheck'
description too literally.

Is there some established consensus on this that just needs to be
codified? Or are there some common practices?

Is is something worth opening a wishlist bug for?

Best,
Christian