PROPOSAL: dpkg Build Directory

Let me start by saying that i am not in any way attached to this
specific amendment to policy. What i would like is to be able to
cause the files that are normally placed in the parent directory
while building a package to be placed instead in some other
directory. An environment variable would be nice because i could
set it once and never worry about it again, but i don't really
care how this ends up being done.

I've attached a diff to policy.sgml in CVS. It requires a change
in how binary and source packages are built. dpkg already
supports the change, but dpkg-source will need to be modified. It
doesn't support a build directory at the moment. I describe the
'-o' option in this patch, but i am not attached to that
particular one.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@progeny.com
Software Developer