.desktop files in kde2

Greetings all;

For today's apt-get upgrade, I had to answer the ``replace conffile''
question many times for the kde2 packages' .*desktop files. I don't
recall changing any of the .desktop files, so it would have been nice if
it just replaced them all on their own. However, I think a setup similar
to the debian menu system would sure be nice --- the defaults are in
/usr/share/someplace and if the local admin wants to override them, they
should be put into /etc/something/else.

Is -policy the right place to start? It seemed all the KDE games
packages do this, so I am not too sure where to go. (Upstream?)

Thanks :)