Re: weekly policy summary

Hi,

        Since Alex is otherwise busy, I have to take his mantle up and
 represent what I think is an important balancing aspect of Debian.

>>"DGMS" == Davide G M Salvetti <salve@debian.org> writes:

 MS> Freedom of software should come on its merits, not because on
 MS> Debian it is hard to find good (but non-free) software.

 DGMS> This is something I agree with.  However: Debian is not (at least in
 DGMS> my eyes) an inform collection of software, the more the better.

 DGMS> First of all Debian is an operating system, and a free (in the freedom
 DGMS> sense) one.

        And is is going to be the best OS there is. That is more
 important, in some ways, than even the feedom aspect (shock, horror)

 DGMS> We should not include in Debian every single piece of software there
 DGMS> is, and in fact we cannot include a broad collection of
 DGMS> software---sometimes better, or even far more better (from a POV I
 DGMS> don't share, but you and many others apparently do) than what we
 DGMS> have---just because its license doesn't allow us even to redistribute
 DGMS> it, let alone to use it.  Beyond this, we choose to make Debian a
 DGMS> _free_ operating system: non-free software has naturally no place in
 DGMS> this project, for the very reason we choose to rule it out.

        You are ignoring the other set of people who comprise Debian
 -- the onle who want to make Debian the best possible OS there is,
 the one that meets the needs of more people out there, the ones who
 choose free software because it is _good_ software.

        You come from the side of Debian that evangelizes the freedom
 aspect, but there are others who don't really care all that much
 about the ``purity'', but only about functionality, performance,
 utility, et. al.

 DGMS> So, why should we fear to *choose* what do we want to be Debian?

        Good. My choice is that the non fee references are in. Your turn.

 DGMS> After all, if other people and/or group disagree with our
 DGMS> choice, they can still build a `better' (from their POV)
 DGMS> distribution on top of ours, and we declare ourselves more than
 DGMS> happy with this approach.  Where's the problem?  We even have
 DGMS> non-free, and contrib, what should we do more to accommodate
 DGMS> non-free users?

        Cause ``we'' do not choose (or, at least, have not yet choosen
 to be a purely free distribution, there are pragmatists amongst us
 (always have been; we broke off from the FSF when we felt the quality
 of the distribiution would be compromised by staying with the FSF).

 DGMS> As you see, this whole issue stems from this one question: «What do
 DGMS> you want Debian to be?».

        Precisely.

 MS> What if it is true? What if the non-free software does indeed
 MS> provide functionality missing in Debian? We bury our heads in the
 MS> sand and pretend that it does not exist? We do our users a disservice
 MS> and make it harder for them to discover and istall the missing
 MS> functionality?

 DGMS> What's the problem about installing non-free software on a Debian
 DGMS> system, by hand, or by means of a deb package if it exists?

        None whatsoever. And we tell the users that the functionality
 is there, and we make things easier for our users, not harder. People
 deem our installation process hard enough to start with, without
 adding complications.

 DGMS> Nobody here wants to forbid users to do this, and there are many of us
 DGMS> who are indeed happy to help.  We even encourage software companies to
 DGMS> build their own deb packages, if they want to: does this means we
 DGMS> should allow those packages to be referenced from Debian (i.e., main)
 DGMS> ones?

        IMHO, yes.

 DGMS> We are not the User Information Department, what we truly are is
 DGMS> expressed by this definition:

        We are trying to make the distribution as one which is easy to
  use, and helps our users.  I absolutely reject the above statement.

 -------------------------------------------------------------------->
 DGMS> The Debian Project is an association of individuals who have made
 DGMS> common cause to create a free operating system.
 -------------------------------------------------------------------->
 DGMS> we shouldn't IMHO forget it.

        I think we should not forget our commitment to our users. In
 my opinion, we have committed to integrating the non-fee software
 that is *NOT* part of Debian in a manner that the OS seems a cohesive
 whole. The references are part of that.

 MS> We do free software a disservice by trying to hide non-free
 MS> software, or making harder to install, on the grounds that we fear
 MS> that too many people may use non-free software if we do so.

 DGMS> We couldn't act like this even if we wanted to.  Users have
 DGMS> plenty of information about non-free software with or without
 DGMS> our contribute, and even if we stopped building precompiled
 DGMS> debs of non-free software, we couldn't stop others (and
 DGMS> companies) from doing it.

        I do not agree. I do not feel the users have things quite
 easy, and we do not havce to worry about ease of use issues, which is
 what your statement boils down to.

 DGMS> So, how could we make non-free software hidden, or harder to install?

        By removing the references you are indeed making it harder to
 see, and thus install.

        manoj
--
 Olmstead's Law: After all is said and done, a hell of a lot more is
 said than done.