Re: RFC: Emacs add-on packages and make.

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:
> Michael Alan Dorman <mdorman@law.miami.edu> writes:
> >   If you install xemacs20, and then bbdb, and then emacs20, you'll
> >   only have bbdb compiled for xemacs20 and not for emacs20
> It shouldn't work this way.  Are you just saying that this is a bug in
> the current bbdb or emacsen-common?

Oh, no, it works fine, at least in my experience.

If you look back at the original message, just above what you quoted
it says "If you mean that", and is followed by "you are incorrect"---I
was just trying produce a specific example of what I understood Ian's
assertion to be so that I could tell him he was wrong. :-)

> > you are incorrect.  Mind you, (and not to beat up on Rob), it took me
> > several times through the document to figure out how to implement a
> > package, so it isn't entirely suprising you missed it---it's pretty
> > dense.
> I was a bit pressed for time when I wrote it, so I didn't have that
> much extra energy for flowery prose :>
> But it is definitely too dense...

Well, c'est la vie.  There are now working example packages, etc., so
anyone who's put off by the prose can look at some code. It's not
badly written anyway, it's just very short and to the point, and for
me that meant I had to read it a few times to get an idea of the
intent, and then the mechanism quickly became obvious.

Heck, I intend to work on doing gnus in it---I certainly wouldn't
attempt that if I didn't feel it worked well enough.

Cheers,

Mike.