policy Q's WRT imapd

1.  Is the use of liblockfile mandatory or just A Good Thing?  (or a bad
thing?)

imapd has its own locking scheme which it shares with pine but no other
apps afaik.  Is that ok or shall I patch it to use liblockfile?

Also Ilya Ovchinnikov has sent me a patch which he claims "...fixed
locking problems with imap-4"  The diff for this patch is available under
Bug #10749.  Does the code therein satisfy Debian policy for locking?

2.  Is beta software ok?

I've packaged a new version of imapd, version 4.1.BETA.  It is a snapshot
of the upstream authors current development as of 12/31/97.  It compiles
more cleanly than the old one, has some bug fixes and seems to be stable
in my limited testing, but as the name suggests, it is a beta version.
Should I go ahead and release it anyway?

3.  What is the procedure for getting the QA group to test a package?

The current imapd package and the new one both work well for me but I
don't have an NFS environment or anything to really test issues like
locking.  So I'd like the QA group to take a look.  Because if there is a
chance it could eat mail, I think we should just take it out of the
distribution.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@braincells.com>