problems with palmV, can't "hot-sync", and too much SPAM!

Hi all,
    I'm having trouble hot-syncing, with linux, i'm using linux-2.4.16-smp
compiled by me.. on a debian 3.0 system, i've found out in witch serial port
the palmV is connected and made a symlink to /dev/pilot, and.. if I do a ">
cat /dev/pilot" while pressing the hot-sync button on the craddle, some
caracters appear, so.. the "hardware linkage" "Computer<->palmV" is OK I
guess.
    I'm using the gnome control-center to configure the palm, some nice
looking GUI appears to configure the palm.. but hangs forever when it asks
me to press the hot-sync button.. Oh, btw, the program is configured to
comunicate trought /dev/pilot.

    The craddle is connected to a serial port, and in windblows i'm able to
hot-sync, and i was able to do it on my old debian system, haven't got the
slightest idea about how to put it to work, and I was hoping to use that
program (I believe that its part of the gnome aplications, but i can't
recall the name) because i could sincronise the e-mails in evolution with
the palm.

Can anyone help me out! Thanks in advance! =)

PS: This mailing list is quite full of spam, isn't there a way to evoid
this?? It's quite anoying. :)
Miguel Sousa Filipe
handle: m3thos
More human than human