Re: RFS: libinfluxdb-http-perl 0.04 (new package)

Hello again,

After taking a look at Greorr's work in the "enabletests" branch and trying to reproduce the build and tests with it, I had to fix an issue that was happening in my sbuild-qemu setup: after installing the "influxdb" package, there would be an influxdb service running on the default ports. This would lead to the tests failing to bind to the default RPC port 8088.

So I've added a patch that changes the rpc port in the test file and now I get a fully running build + autopkgtest process. I've also forwarded the patch upstream since I think it adds a bit of stability in their test suite.

So, I think that I am ready to request again some help with reviewing the work for the package libinfluxdb-http-perl and then if all seems in order, for sponsoring the push to NEW.

Cheers!

On 2023-10-01 15:33, gregor herrmann wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2023 14:45:08 -0400, Gabriel Filion wrote:

I have a local branch where I started to look at enabling autopkgtest, which
mostly just adds test-only dependencies to the control file.. However, when
reading the source code of the file t/tests.pl I can see that it's expecting
to contact a running InfluxDB instance.

Some random thoughts and observations:

- autopkgtest-pkg-perl typically runs three tests; even if we can't run
   the smoke test (but more on that below), having the others enabled
   would be nice
- I noticed that the tests are also not run during build (as `make
   test' won't run t/test.pl) which is also not so nice
- reading t/test.pl it looks like an influxdbd will be started by
   the test script …

After playing a bit getting them to run during build was not
difficult in th end :)

Now for the autopkgtest's smoke test …
*scratches head*
*tries something with smoke-setup*

Oh, this works :)
(rename t/test.pl to test.pl, then it gets picked up)

Alright, pushed to an "enabletests" branch.

Side note: renaming ./t/test.pl to ./test.pl (upstream or with a
quilt patch) would probably make both the manual invocation in
d/rules and the smoke-setup trick obsolet. But they are also neither
hard to understand nor to maintain.

So I'm wondering if getting libinfluxdb-http-perl into the archive without
autopkgtest would be an option. If I can get some help it would still be
possible to enable those tests later.

With my commits it seems to work, but if there are any concerns about
starting an influxdb instance during build or autopkgtests we can
also skip it. But maybe let's try and see first :)

Cheers,
gregor