Re: RFS: libinfluxdb-http-perl 0.04 (new package)

On Sun, 01 Oct 2023 14:45:08 -0400, Gabriel Filion wrote:

> I have a local branch where I started to look at enabling autopkgtest, which
> mostly just adds test-only dependencies to the control file.. However, when
> reading the source code of the file t/tests.pl I can see that it's expecting
> to contact a running InfluxDB instance.

Some random thoughts and observations:

- autopkgtest-pkg-perl typically runs three tests; even if we can't run
  the smoke test (but more on that below), having the others enabled
  would be nice
- I noticed that the tests are also not run during build (as `make
  test' won't run t/test.pl) which is also not so nice
- reading t/test.pl it looks like an influxdbd will be started by
  the test script …

After playing a bit getting them to run during build was not
difficult in th end :)

Now for the autopkgtest's smoke test …
*scratches head*
*tries something with smoke-setup*

Oh, this works :)
(rename t/test.pl to test.pl, then it gets picked up)

Alright, pushed to an "enabletests" branch.

Side note: renaming ./t/test.pl to ./test.pl (upstream or with a
quilt patch) would probably make both the manual invocation in
d/rules and the smoke-setup trick obsolet. But they are also neither
hard to understand nor to maintain.

> So I'm wondering if getting libinfluxdb-http-perl into the archive without
> autopkgtest would be an option. If I can get some help it would still be
> possible to enable those tests later.

With my commits it seems to work, but if there are any concerns about
starting an influxdb instance during build or autopkgtests we can
also skip it. But maybe let's try and see first :)

Cheers,
gregor

--
 .''`.  https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
 `. `'  Member VIBE!AT & SPI Inc. -- Supporter Free Software Foundation Europe